Job Title: Powder Coater – 2nd shift
Department: Powder Coating
Reports To: Finishing Foreman
FLSA Status: Hourly – Non Exempt
Supervisory Status: Non-Supervisory Position
Primary Facility – Vinton, IA
Posting Manager: Charles Sumner
Under the direction of the Finishing Foreman, the responsibilities of the Powder Coater position include spraying surfaces of metal products with protective or decorative material, such as powder paint, using an electrostatic spray gun and related equipment. The position also helps with metal prep (including washing, phosphatizing and sealing. The position may also help hang and remove components from the paint conveyor line or racks as needed. Maintains and cleans all spray and powder booth equipment.
This position is primarily for second shift but may be called on to fill in on first shift as required for sickness or vacation coverage.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: First and second shift share many of the same duties. It is up to department supervision on how best to assign overlapping duties.
- Leads, prioritizes and maintains a productive workflow thru the powder coating department.
- Powder coats components for Ideal OEM products, Ideal contract manufacturing products as well powder only contract customers
- Understands internal and customer finish requirements including mil thickness (dry and finished) interior and exterior requirements and masking or specific hanging requirements.
- Prepares and maintains electrostatic spray equipment as well as the powder booth, cure oven and wash chemical equipment.
- Helps with material/part prep including surface prep involving sanding, grinding and shot blasting.
- Maintains an organized work area.
- Maintains a powder and wash/prep chemical inventory to be turned into the plant manager on a weekly basis.
- Helps prep personnel with wash and phosphatizing chemical concentration testing and monitoring.
- Inspects finished product for defects and accepts or rejects parts based on finish quality.
- May re-coat parts as needed.
- Verify’ s that prep personnel are keeping racks and hooks clean.
- May be required to operate a forklift and overhead crane to hang or take down parts from racks or unloading customers trucks.
- Previous powder coating experience a plus.
- Ability to understand and read blueprints, and/or other printed instructional material common manufacturing and powder coating facilities.
- Rely on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
- Demonstrate willingness to work with others in a team environment.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- High School diploma or GED required.
- Two – four years painting or powder coating experience (Not required, but preference will be given to experienced individuals)
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Required to perform work standing upright in a work cell/area for 8-10 hours per day and up to 6 days a week.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, sit, use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 35 pounds. Lifting devices must be used or help must be requested for anything over 35 pounds.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance with or without vision aids.
JOB CONTACT INFORMATION
Individuals interested in the posted position should contact the manager responsible for the posting.
(319) 472 – 5224
Ideal Industries in an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any individual in any phase of employment in accordance with the requirements of local, state and federal law.